Monday, September 8, 2008

Penrod

Each year local artists from throughout Indiana come together to celebrate their art by charging an excessive admission fee and then selling their wares at an equally excessive price. Don't get me wrong, I love art and I understand the cost it take to produce, let alone create a living out of ones passion for.... chopsticks... scarves.... wire birds...

75 dollars for a scarf? I'll make you a scarf for free if you give me the yarn... granted I am not an artist, and it might not look that good and I make no promises that its wont fall apart.

Aside from the prices Penrod was a worthwhile volunteer experience. Plus it took place on the grounds of the Indianapolis Art Museum, one of the most beautiful locations in Indy.

Last weekend before I spent the afternoon walking the IMA grounds, taking pictures, and enjoying the sunlight. I'll post those up in a slideshow when I get them uploaded.

As you all know I'm not in Indiana for the fine arts, although my appreciation has grown. As a VISTA update I have recruited 7 people for the speakers bureau, just over half my goal of 15 total and have the next volunteer appreciation event ready to go. All in all my projects are moving along smoothly and I am preparing them all to transition over when I finish my year.

I can't believe its been 7 months already! It's scary and exhilarating to try and think of what I will be doing a year from now. I have some ideas but nothing for sure and just looking at all of the possibilities is a little daunting.

If all else fails, I'll join the penrod society and make paper cranes. I might have to learn how to make paper cranes first....

No comments: